Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May Day Musings


It's May Day today, and it's raining.  No tiny bouquets of flowers will be delivered to doorsteps in the midst of the rain.  Although, here in our part of the world, the rain is much needed.  As a child I remember making the woven paper baskets at school and at home, filling them with flowers picked from our yard, and leaving them on the front porches of our neighbors.  Somewhere along the way, the tradition slowly disappeared.  Even though it wasn't all that long ago, it seems very far away.  

Looking through some photos from this past fall, I came across a couple I snapped with my phone while waiting with my youngest for the school bus.  His stop is located near an older, brick building that probably, at one time, was an apartment building for the workers of a local mill or factory.  The corner apartment was likely the office or store-front for the building.  While standing near this corner store-front, waiting for the bus, I discovered these carvings in the stone and brick-work.  Funny to think that there must have been others who stood in the same spot, waiting, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment